“WILLIAM BIBB KEY, b. Albemarle Co., Va., Oct. 2, 1759; d. Dec 7, 1836, Elbert Co., Ga. Served as a REV. SOLDIER. Received bounty grant of land for his services. Married Mourning Clark, b. Aug. 12, 1764 (dau. of CHRISTOPHER CLARK, REV. SOLDIER of Ga., and his wife Millicent Terrell).
1. Charles, b. 1784; mar. Mary Ann Clark.
2. Martha, mar. Nicholas Good.
3. James, b. 1788; mar. Rebecca Grizzle.
4. Milly, b. 1790; mar. Humphrey Posey.
5. Nancy, mar. Simeon Glenn.
6. Elizabeth, mar. Thomas Bell.
7. Margaret, mar. Thomas Good.
8. Keturah, mar. James Hamm.
9. Mary (Polly), mar. Joseph Bell.
10. Henry, d. y.
11. Thomas, d. y.
12. Susan, b. 1799; mar. James Bell, Jr.
13. Jane, b. 1801; mar. John Grizzle.
14. Sarah, b. 1803; mar. Thomas C. Elliott.
15. Lucy, b. 1809; mar. Nathan Mattox.”
Source: McCall, Mrs. Howard H., Roster of Revolutionary Soldiers in Georgia (Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2004), Volume III, page 136.
William Bibb Key married Mourning Clark on 23 Dec 1782 in Albemarle County, Virginia, USA.
When William Bibb Key died he was buried in the Key Family Cemetery. His burial is marked with a ledger stone. He and his wife had been married nearly 54 years.
William Bibb Key is listed on the Revolutionary War Soldiers Memorial monument in Elbert County, Georgia which was dedicated on November 11, 1994 by the Stephen Heard Chapter of the NSDAR.
In Memory of WM. B. KEY Who was born In Albemarle Co., Virginia
October 2nd, 1759
And Died in Elbert Co., Georgia
December 7th, 1836
Aged 77 years, 2 months & 5 days
Erected by N. & L. Mattox, 1850
The Pictures below were taken at a recent grave marking for William Bibb Key. The Sons Of The American Revolution placed the marker September 2, 2017
Note: One of the only two identifiable graves in this cemetery.
Key Family Cemetery
William Bibb Key (1759 – 1836)
Margaret Key (1794 – 1880)
daughter of William Bibb Key
Joshua Goode (1828 – )
son of Margaret Key
Charles Key Goode (1877 – 1946)
son of Joshua Goode
Ben Cates Goode (1909 – 1980)
son of Charles K Goode
Evelyn Deloris Goode
You are the daughter of Ben Cates Goode